DTV Conveter box coupons are now live! [Cross-posting to PLUG and SLLUG]

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Jan 2 21:27:59 MST 2008

On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 04:22:06PM -0700, Steven Alligood wrote:
> Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
>> TV is nice, it's soothing, and exciting, but it's really NOT essential for
>> survival or to one's personal welfare. Those who HAVE to have their fix
>> from
>> TV should just pay for the privilege!
>>
> I only have an antenna.  I got tired of paying out $50+ a month for mostly
> garbage.
>
> We got rid of Cable
> , and had a nice few months, until I realized that I didn't know what was
> going on around the world and my own state.
>
> I finally paid out a one time $70 for a really good antenna, and now I have
> the news and two shows a week that are worth watching.

I'm glad you want to know what's going on in the world, but the
American media just aren't the way to do it.

Let's see, I get the local paper just in case. I take the Economist,
and visit the web sites of the Beeb, al Jazeera, The Times (the
original one, in London), canoe.ca, and check a few others from time
to time, like the Hindustan Times for some interesting reporting
lately on the Bhutto assasination. You aren't going to get that with a
$70 TV antenna. Oh, and the reg for IT news.

> And yes, I pay a lot for those few shows.  It's called advertising.  I just
> don't pay twice now.

Good way to put it.