Towards a better router.

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 15:15:19 MST 2008

On Dec 29, 2007 4:02 PM, Sterling Jacobson <sterling at ilc-it.net> wrote:
> More specifically get the Linksys WRT54GL version.
>
> Note the L on the end.
>
> You probably won't find it on store shelves, just the G version.
>
> But the L is the better hardware and you can get it from NewEgg for around $70.

I second the WRT-54GL (by the way I've always read the L stood for
Linux since it runs the Linux firmware out-of-the-box).  I've got a
regular WRT-54G with DD-WRT on it and it's been a solid champ for a
long time.  I don't have the external connection you do (I'm on
Comcast and don't have fiber as an option yet) but internally I have a
gigabit wired backbone that streams HDTV (full 1080 mpeg2 not that
mpeg4 crap) all over the house and easily handles 4 HD streams on the
network without causing any problems for the wireless devices surfing
the net.

-Chad