DTV Conveter box coupons are now live! [Cross-posting to PLUG and SLLUG]

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 13:11:36 MST 2008

On Jan 2, 2008 11:51 AM, Wade Preston Shearer <lists at wadeshearer.com> wrote:
> Why is there a budget for this at all? Television is not a necessity.
> It angers me that my tax dollars are being used to buy home theater
> components for the masses. A coupon wasn't available a few years ago
> when I purchased my HD tuner.

Because if there weren't my sister would be pissed in Feb 2009 when
her TV stopped working and she had to spend $50-70 on a converter box
or hundreds on a new TV.  It's bad enough that she'll have to spend
$10-30 on the converter and may have to get a better antenna as well.
Honestly it sucks and this just makes it suck a little less.

The rules for the subsidy try to prevent abuses.  Coupons are only
valid on boxes that do nothing more than convert ATSC to NTSC and MAY
include a remote.  Actually the boxes will also support EPG (guide
data) but must not provide component video out, DVR, or anything else
that a consumer won't need in order to just keep watching their old
analog TV.  EPG was included for a variety of reasons, the discussion
points are all in the rules doc
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/frnotices/2007/DTVFinalRule_2e.htm