DTV Conveter box coupons are now live! [Cross-posting to PLUG and SLLUG]

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:47:29 MST 2008

Hi everyone,

You probably already have a Digital capable television, but chances
are good you know someone who doesn't have one and probably can't
afford to upgrade their TV.
As you probably already know, for people who don't have DTV
capabilities yet the only options they have to recieve television
after Feb 2009 will be to either buy a new box, go to cable, or
purchase a DTV converter box.
If you need a converter box, or you know someone who does, the US
government has a subsidized coupon option that will help you purchase
up to 2 of these boxes.
The coupons are for $40 off each box and are good for any and all
approved models.
But this is a first come, first served basis, and there may not be
enough of these to go around.
You can get a coupon for yourself or a loved one by going to
http://www.dtv2009.gov/ but please only order one if you really need
it, since like I said before according to the budget as I read it,
there really aren't quite enough of these to go around.
The budget is $1.5B which sounds like alot, but if you do the math you
see that there is only enough money to do this for about 10% of
americans, while over 70% still have NTSC only TVs. So if you need
one, or know someone who does, please don't dawdle.

While there you can also find out more about the upcoming switch-over
and possibly get enough information to help answer questions for a
loved one or neighbor.

I hope you find this information helpful.  I am cross-posting this
message to PLUG and SLLUG to get the widest audience possible, so I'm
sorry if you end up getting this message twice, but I believe it's
very important to get the word out so as many people can take
advantage of this service as possible.

Sincerely,
Steve Morrey