For all you top posters out there, this is for you...

Corey Edwards tensai at
Thu Feb 28 11:18:13 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 11:10 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> It's all about context.  When I write to a mailing list such as this
> one, I am writing to a group of very Internet-savvy people, so I use the
> sophisticated conventions appropriate for the audience.  When I write an
> email for people at work, many of the recipients only understand the
> simplest email conventions, so I top-post out of respect for them.

This is the same thing I do at work. Outlook is really only good for top
posting (a single example of its exceedingly high number of problems)
and since everybody else uses that, I have to conform. Which is fine.
But I had a co-worker who insisted on bottom posting regardless and that
caused no end of confusion about who had said what and where the replies