Expected mailing-list etiquette -- was Re: For all you top posters out there, this is for you...

Michael L Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 10:55:39 MST 2008

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> Personally, I disagree with Michael. I find it annoying (but not overly
> so) that he always leaves a pointless copy of the other person's sig or
> the list footer. Personally, I would call what Michael does bottom
> posting with the caveat that he sometimes misses a little crud while
> trimming.

I don't intentionally leave someone's signature.  Oddly enough,
thunderbird appears to now automatically trim off the signature
(anything below the --).  I do sometimes leave the person's name in,
like I did with Justin, to remind a reader who I'm replying too.  I do
trim off the plug footer crud.  One thing that drives me nuts on the
python list is that some people, in their trimming, trim off the line
that says "Stuart Jansen wrote" or whatever.  Then I have no idea who
they are replying to.

Normally I try to trim most of the crud below my last post, if it has
nothing to do with my post.

> I choose to believe that your question was an example of why blindly
> middle posting is flawed. The full meaning of your question is apparent
> until the reader reaches the following paragraph. Clever.
>
> Perhaps instead of calling it middle posting or bottom posting, we
> should call it staggered posting or context aware posting.

Definitely context aware posting is a good term for it.