Seeking traffic shaping/transparent proxy solution

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Feb 21 16:08:31 MST 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-21 at 15:45 -0700, Carl Youngblood wrote:
> I am trying to find a good (hopefully free/low-price/easy) solution
> for rationing bandwidth on a per-user basis to a number of downstream
> wifi APs and wired clients, as well as caching downloads so that
> future requests can be served locally.  NoCatSplash-type functionality
> would be a good plus too.  But it needs to be in a single server,
> because I will be supporting user counts that are too large to do with
> individual APs, and I don't want to have to configure each AP
> separately, other than to configure its wifi settings.

I recommend Mikrotik RouterOS. It's Linux based and has a ton of great
features. I'm sure you could use straight up Linux for all of it, but
the management with Mikrotik is great. My company uses their Router
Boards for access points and they're awesome. The one thing I can't tell
you is where we buy them from, as I'm not involved in that process.

Corey