Linux compatible scanner

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Feb 18 20:22:53 MST 2008

On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 06:23:44PM -0700, Russel Caldwell wrote:
> Does anybody have a suggestion for a Linux compatible scanner.

This is a Linux group; we have lots of suggestions for anything. :-)

I've done very well with my HP 7780 multi-function printer (MFP). HP
has contributed open source drivers and other support software for
their printers and MFPs, so a lot of their stuff works out of the
box. SANE had no problems picking up and using the scanner.

However, do not expect much from OCR on Linux. I have not tried
tesseract, which should be better than other offerings I have tried. I
see it is available for Ubuntu, though.