Mail from localhost delivered to Google Apps with Postfix? Anyone have a solution?

chad at planetmayfield.com chad at planetmayfield.com
Sat Feb 16 14:37:48 MST 2008

Greetings All,

So I have been on SLLUG, PLUG, and the Ubuntu Utah lists for quite
awhile under different addresses, but have not posted a questions yet,
some responses, but no questions.  I have enjoyed learning with
everyone's posts but finally find myself needing help that I cannot
resolve with Google's help alone, hopefully someone here can help.

On the main domain I host I use Google Apps for email only rather than
have to administer a mail server a deal with spam issues, relays,
etc..  The problem I am running into is that I need the local mail
generated by localhost to be relayed/forwarded to my Google Apps
account.  My MX records are pointed toward Google's mail servers,
while my domains A record is are pointed to the physical server via
ZoneEdit.  The longer the server is around and the more projects I
work on the more I have realized I need that local mail to be
delivered to my normal email for debugging of applications, logwatch,
etc...

I was trying to use Postfix following several similar users' issues
online.  (Relaying local mail to Gmail/Google Apps using Postfix).
Some of the tutorials I have tested are; The Prancing Tarantula (http://prantran.blogspot.com/2007/01/getting-postfix-to-work-on-ubuntu-with.html
), Setting up Postfix to relay through Gmail (http://www.darryl.cain.com.au/postfix/
), and How to relay mail using Ubuntu, Postfix, and Gmail (http://kirranet.co.nz/content/howto-relay-email-using-ubuntu,-postfix-and-gmail
).  None have worked.

I can get Postfix to say the message was sent, yet it never leaves the
local mailbox, and it is nowhere to be found.  From the tutorials I
have learned there is an issue with Google and TLS so a certificate
needs to be created.  A simple relay will not work.  So my problem
still stands, i cannot get local mail relayed/forwarded.  Does anyone
have any ideas how I can relay local mail delivered to, say root, to
my Google Apps account?  Anyone?

Server Info: Ubuntu 7.10 Server

---
Chad R Mayfield