WPA enabled wireless in DSL.

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Feb 12 20:54:37 MST 2008

Joshua Lutes wrote:
> Okay, so this is a plea for help.
>
> I am trying to get Damn Small Linux running on my nine year old laptop that
> I am turning into a digital photo frame. I have a NetGear WG511T wireless
> pci card that seems to be recognized by the system, but I can't figure out
> how to configure it so that it will connect to my router. It is listed as
> ath0 when I type iwconfig. I need to set it up so that it will connect using
> WPA. Can anyone suggest what I ought to do?

FWIW, DSL is nice because its distribution CD is small, but its
installation image is not necessarily any smaller than the smallest
Ubuntu/Debian/Gentoo.  In other words, I'm not sure DSL will give you
any benefit for this application.  I imagine the more important
consideration is hardware support.

I have a lot more confidence in Ubuntu's hardware support.  Therefore, I
would like to suggest you try booting the latest Xubuntu on your laptop
and see if you can configure the wireless network with Ubuntu's tools.
If Xubuntu works, see if it will fit on the hard drive; then if Xubuntu
won't fit, at least you'll have a functional reference implementation.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Shane