Dark Terminal Magic

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Feb 11 23:19:33 MST 2008

Hans Fugal wrote:
> Interesting. Yes and no. I have two boxes handy, one is an ubuntu 7.10
> box with ncurses 5.6 and the other is a debian box with 5.5. The same
> behavior on both, but really it makes since since TERM is set to xterm
> or rxvt which do support bce, so naturally ncurses will use it instead
> of drawing spaces or whatever workaround it would implement for a
> terminfo that doesn't support bce. So I still need to find a magic TERM
> setting for OS X, but it's sounding like maybe there is one to find.

Fiddling around, I found the "tack" tool, which apparently lets you
interactively edit (for some definition of interactive) a terminfo file.
  I *think* I managed to create a variant of xterm with bce disabled,
but I don't have OS X available to test the result.

While in my home directory, with TERM=xterm in my environment, I started
tack and pushed:

   n e e bce<Enter> w q q q y

This created an ASCII file called "xterm".  Then I typed "tic xterm",
which created ~/.terminfo/x/xterm.  I assume ncurses prefers the
terminfo in my home directory.

This is the first time I've seen this stuff.  It's weird but efficient;
I suppose that in theory I can solve all sorts of terminal compatibility
bugs quickly this way.  However, there's no way I'm going to remember
much of it unless I write it down.  Hence this email. :-)

Shane