SPAM CITY - Suggestions?

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Mon Feb 11 13:30:02 MST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008 11:10 AM, Ryan Simpkins <plug at ryansimpkins.com> wrote:

>  2) A VIP sends an e-mail. Your system sends an automated reply with a
> simple
> step a VIP has to follow to ensure they get past the filter.

Once upon a time, automated challenge/response systems were considered
counter-productive if not downright harmful.  Google "challenge response
harmful" (unquoted) to get an eyeful.  Having been repeatedly victimized by
C/R systems, my main objection to them is that they enable and encourage
joe-job (spoofed sender) attacks in which innocent victims are attacked by
bogus challenges from C/R systems.

Is the "harmful" characterization no longer applicable to C/R systems? If
so, why?

Chris