February Meeting: Matt Asay and Alfresco

Jared Ottley jottley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:32:41 MST 2008

I am going to do a high level overview of the product, show off some
the the new features we have coming out.  If there is something
specific that people are interested in seeing, around Document
Management or Web Content Management, post here and I will make sure
to work it in.

And of course we have some nifty ways to address these problems :)
Shared drives have tended to become messy, but it is a paradigm that
users are very familiar with.  So we provide a way to stick to that
interface, using what we call Virtual File Server. The same shared
drive interface that people are familiar with (using CIFS, WebDAV or
NFS) coupled with the power of the repository (Full text indexing, a
rules engine, email notification, RSS feeds, workflow, etc). MS still
has a tight grip on the Office suite market, so we have written add-
ons for Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.  (There was work started by
someone from the OpenOffice.org community a while back on providing
integration, but I haven't seen much from that yet.)   So if no one
will become violently ill, I can show that as well.

I don't want to give my entire presentation here ;) but hopefully
that is enough of a taste.  I'll also cover:

New email integration, project work spaces, web scripts (HTTP APIs -
REST infrastructure), talk about collaboration work that is coming
later this year and more!

Jared