[OT] Re: HB 139 Meeting Today ?

Thad Van Ry thad at linuxnetadmin.com
Thu Feb 7 10:04:35 MST 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 9:53 AM, Nathan Blackham <kemotaha at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow, after reading it, I see that it is a horribly written bill.  The
> definition of restricting access still makes my question valid though.  The
> bill says you either have to ascertain the age or restrict access (Sec.
> 13.46.102.4).  But I guess it isn't relevant unless the bill gets passed.

The bill says:
(4) "Restrict access" means to use a reasonable method for
ascertaining the age of a
person using wireless Internet access or preventing the display of
material harmful to minors
over the wireless local area network, including:
(a) visually inspecting a government-issued identification document; or
(b) requiring the provision of a valid credit card number.

In my reading of this, it means you have to either verify the age
using one of the two methods OR filter access to prevent the display
of material harmful to minors over the wireless LAN.

BTW, I wrote to my representative (Roger Barrus) about this bill. He
said that it probably has a good chance of passing because of the
"protect the children" theme.

Thad