[OT] Re: HB 139 Meeting Today ?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:08:15 MST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 2:50 PM, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Didn't you read the Ars Technica page?  Rep. Daw said he intends to pull
> the age requirement and replace it with filtering.  Thus filtering is
> now the core issue.

The Ars article is based on an SLTrib article, both of which give the
impression that Rep Daw is considering his options, including
filtering, but doesn't believe that filtering is effective.  When a
new bill is proposed that does include filtering then it will become
the core issue.  My impression of the whole thing is that it won't
come to that.  "intends" is too strong a word.

Daw's problem is that he wants to find a middle-ground between CP80
and the needs of the people and businesses of our state.  It's
possible he wants to do this to short-circuit CP80 so that we don't
end up with the full consequences of that ridiculous legislation.  He
may even be on our side, though he's not doing a particularly good job
of it.