mail relaying question

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Feb 5 21:22:32 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 11:16 -0600, Christer Edwards wrote:
> I also have server2 and server3 which are run at two residences, no
> DNS resolving to these servers.  I would like logwatch output from
> these servers to make it to my account, but since they are from
> non-resolvable addresses they are always filtered.
>
> Is there a way to relay outbound mail from server2 and server3 through
> server1.  again, currently server1 sends valid mail unfiltered to its
> destinations, but the others can not.  ...or if there is another way?

What distro and what mail server? All MTAs (well, all MTAs worth their
salt) are able to relay through another host, known as a smart host or a
gateway host.

In Exim, which is what I generally use, you can do this with a custom
router, such as

        smarthost:
                driver = domainlist
                transport = remote_smtp
                route_list = * server1

If you're using Debian, you would instead just set "dc_smarthost"
in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf.

One other thing to ensure is that server1 is set up to allow relaying
for server2 and server3.

Corey