[OT] Spectacles

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Feb 5 17:09:49 MST 2008

On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 04:17:42PM -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> The discussion on surgery is interesting, as is the bit about contacts. I'd
> like to solicit thoughts on eyeglasses too.
>
> I tried contacts for awhile. Worked wonders for wooing but just didn't work
> out for computer work. My eyes would (and do) tend to dry out, not severely
> but noticeably. But more importantly, I just didn't feel I could see the
> screen as well. I went through two eye doctors - the first I'm sure was an
> idiot, but the second came well-recommended and seemed competent. He said
> "here, try these, but you'll probably be happier just using glasses", and I
> am. I don't mind wearing glasses, even though my wife wishes I would mind.
> ;-)

You can take them off, you know.

> So, are there any special considerations wrt glasses that I should bring up
> with the eye doctor when I go, for computer use? What about the eye exam
> itself? I often feel that the doctor is rushing through the process and
> wonder how I should answer his questions. Maybe it comes from my DSP
> training but I can usually interpolate and figure out what that letter on
> the bottom row is, even though it's barely more than a blur. Should I tell
> the doc "no I can't see it" when it's more blurry than I'd want to read
> over a long period, etc.

Ask about getting monofocal glasses just for use at the
computer. Measure the distance from your eyes to the display. The more
accurately you measure, and the more precisely you keep to that
distance, the better. Your optometrist can then generate suitable
tests for those glasses.