[OT] Vision correction surgery

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 12:18:20 MST 2008

On Feb 5, 2008 10:26 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at utahpython.org> wrote:
> On 2/4/08, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
> > Anyway, this morning, my glasses broke *again* and I'm faced with
> > spending several hundred dollars to get them replaced - a ritual I do
> > every other year.  I'm don't really like my glasses and I stopped
> > wearing contacts almost a decade ago because looking at a monitor made
> > my eyes dry and itchy.
>
> Several hundred!?
>
> Do you have special eye weirdness that makes glasses more expensive,
> or is that just what they cost when you are not buying the cheap crap
> from wal-mart like me? :)

I can't answer for Gabe, but my glasses cost several hundred because I
need high-index lens material or they'll be too heavy to wear and I
should get a progressive lens material (where the density / index
varies) to reduce the chromatic aberrations (yellow and blue on the
edges of things 'cause light bends differently at different
wavelengths).  Add to that the scratch-resistant coating and the
polished edges (so it isn't so obvious they're still pretty thick) and
you've got a really expensive pair of lenses.  It's not special eye
weirdness, just complications of higher power.