[OT] Vision correction surgery

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 20:28:29 MST 2008

I did it and I love it!

I was near sighted and wore glasses almost my whole life (started in 6th
grade.)
I was nervous, eyes are not like teeth - I've had lots and lots of dental
work - even a fake tooth.
Fake eyes don't work.  The fake tooth I have works great and if I break it -
I can get another one.
In fact, the dentist says it's time to replace it.

So yes it's scary.  Ask all the questions you want.  I asked and asked, they
assured me that I wouldn't go blind - at worse I'd be less near sighted and
still need to wear glasses.  So the risk was really more financial.
However, they said the success rate was above 90% for 20/30 or better.
(Something like that.)

I now see 20/25 in one eye and 20/15 in the other - together I'm 20/20.
I've been glasses free for over one year - and I love it.  No more losing my
glasses at the bottom of lake powell.  No more fogging under helmets, no
more dirty lens, no more large red dent on my nose, no more having to put in
contacts, etc.

In terms of computer work - I recommend anything you can do to lessen eye
strain.  Such as big display 480 by 640, big fonts, good big screen and keep
it crystal clean.  Take frequent breaks - focus your eyes on something
distant every 15 to 20 minutes.  Any major reading - print the thing.  Print
is easier to read than on screen.  Also after working on the computer all
day - give your eyes a big break by not watching any TV.  This is all
stuff the eye doctor will recommend.  Lastly, wear sunglasses when it's
bright.  I often forget myself and the eye doctor has reprimanded me - kind
of like the girl who cleans your teeth who chews you out every six months
for not flossing enough.

My 2 cents.

Merrill