[OT] Vision correction surgery

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Feb 4 19:29:23 MST 2008

On Mon, Feb 04, 2008 at 03:07:42PM -0700, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:

> Anyway, this morning, my glasses broke *again* and I'm faced with
> spending several hundred dollars to get them replaced - a ritual I do
> every other year.  I'm don't really like my glasses and I stopped
> wearing contacts almost a decade ago because looking at a monitor made
> my eyes dry and itchy.

Get titanium frames. They're more expensive (~~$100), but will last
quite a while. I bought mine for falling off horses.

Ask your optometrist about eye exercises. Also about how to take a
rest from the computer.

Oh, and whatever you're doing that breaks your glasses: stop it.

> I'd really like to put that money toward vision correction surgery, but
> I'm unsure about it still.

From an engineering PoV, there is nothing to replace the MK I eyeball,
and for that reason I refuse to let a scalpel (or a laser) anywhere
near mine. Check on the failure rates.