Project Planning Software

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Mon Feb 4 14:43:32 MST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 12:21 -0800, Hill, Greg wrote:
> It's odd.  I've been on the list for 2 years or so.  This week is the
> first time I recall anyone caring about this, and I've seen plenty of
> cross-posted emails from a lot of different people.  Why is this a big
> deal?  It's pretty common in message boards where there's a crossover
> audience.  Most mailing list etiquette makes little sense to me, but
> this has to be the one that makes the least sense.

It depends on the reason for the cross posting.

First, reasons cross posting is annoying: 1) It fractures conversations.
The exact symptoms depends on the MUA of each participant, but in
general it makes it harder to understand the entire discussion. 2) When
there's a significant overlap in readership, it's annoying to make
subscribers endure multiple copies of every message.

Cross posting announcements is generally not a big deal.

Cross posting to pull one list into the conversation on another list can
be appropriate when done skillfully. For example, pulling discussion
from the netfilter list into kernel-devel in order to reach a larger
audience.

Cross posting questions to multiple lists is the most egregious abuse.
Pick the list most likely to produce a response, post, wait. After an
appropriate amount of time try another list. The desire to cross post
questions is inherently selfish. It's like picking your nose in public,
not a major offense but generally discouraged. Don't be surprised if the
most experienced subscribers ignore your question as punishment for
making them endure multiple copies.

--
"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark
allies, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose