Project Planning Software

Stuart Jansen sjansen at
Mon Feb 4 14:43:32 MST 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 12:21 -0800, Hill, Greg wrote:
> It's odd.  I've been on the list for 2 years or so.  This week is the
> first time I recall anyone caring about this, and I've seen plenty of
> cross-posted emails from a lot of different people.  Why is this a big
> deal?  It's pretty common in message boards where there's a crossover
> audience.  Most mailing list etiquette makes little sense to me, but
> this has to be the one that makes the least sense.

It depends on the reason for the cross posting.

First, reasons cross posting is annoying: 1) It fractures conversations.
The exact symptoms depends on the MUA of each participant, but in
general it makes it harder to understand the entire discussion. 2) When
there's a significant overlap in readership, it's annoying to make
subscribers endure multiple copies of every message.

Cross posting announcements is generally not a big deal.

Cross posting to pull one list into the conversation on another list can
be appropriate when done skillfully. For example, pulling discussion
from the netfilter list into kernel-devel in order to reach a larger

Cross posting questions to multiple lists is the most egregious abuse.
Pick the list most likely to produce a response, post, wait. After an
appropriate amount of time try another list. The desire to cross post
questions is inherently selfish. It's like picking your nose in public,
not a major offense but generally discouraged. Don't be surprised if the
most experienced subscribers ignore your question as punishment for
making them endure multiple copies.

"English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark
allies, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose
grammar." -- Seen on IRC