PostgreSQL 8.3 Released

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:49:01 MST 2008

4 February 2008, New York, NY:  The PostgreSQL Global Development
Group today announced the release of version 8.3 of the
high-performance object-relational database management system.  This
release includes a record number of new and improved features which
will greatly enhance PostgreSQL for application designers, database
administrators, and users, with more than 280 patches by dozens of
PostgreSQL contributors from 18 countries.

"The continued evolution of the open source PostgreSQL database gives
users the option of deploying a non proprietary database, allowing
them to save money, improve performance and increase productivity.
PostgreSQL 8.3 is an impressive new release and we encourage customers
around the world to explore it," said Rich Green, executive vice
president of Software at Sun Microsystems.

Version 8.3 provides greater consistency of performance than previous
versions, ensuring that every user can depend on the same high
performance demonstrated in recent benchmarks for every transaction,
whether in peak hours or not, seven days a week, 52 weeks per year.
Major performance enhancements include:

* Heap Organized Tuples (HOT), which eliminate up to 3/4 of the
maintenance overhead of frequently updated tables
* Spread checkpoints and background writer autotuning, which reduce
the impact of checkpoints on response times
* Asynchronous commit option for much faster response times on some transactions

These changes also significantly accelerate transaction processing
throughput, between 5% and 30%, depending on the workload.

"PostgreSQL just got smarter," said Bruce Momjian, PostgreSQL Core Team member.

PostgreSQL is the first open source database to implement Synchronized
Scan, which greatly reduces I/O on large data mining databases.   The
Windows team has enabled Visual C++ compilation of PostgreSQL,
improving stability and performance on Windows, as well as
accessibility to the project to Windows contributors.  New logging
options have been added and the overhead of the statistics collector
has been diminished in order to make it easier to monitor your
servers.

Of course, this wouldn't be a proper PostgreSQL release without
providing lots of new features for application developers, among them:

* ANSI-standard SQL/XML support, including XML export
* Text search: our advanced full text search tool, TSearch2, has been
merged into the core distribution with better management and new
dictionaries and languages
* GSSAPI and SSPI authentication support
* New data types: UUIDs, ENUMs and arrays of composite types

"We process over 18,000 queries per second on over 300GB of user data
on our PostgreSQL servers, and those numbers go up every month," said
Gavin Roy, CTO of social networking site MyYearbook.com. "We're very
excited about HOT, shared buffer scan improvements and integrated
tsearch indexing.  Preliminary testing shows that 8.3 will improve our
database load profile while decreasing response times.  We're really
looking forward to it."

In addition to the many new core features, several new optional
components have matured and released 1.0 versions during the 8.3
release cycle.  These include SNMP support, horizontal scalability
options such as PL/Proxy, pgPool2, and Bucardo, a graphical debugger
for stored procedures, and a scalable connection pooler called
pgBouncer.  These add to the rich set of accessories already
available.

There are dozens of additional features and improvements in 8.3 which
will make PostgreSQL a more powerful database platform. See the press
kit for details:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/press/presskit83.html.en

Download PostgreSQL from our download page: http://www.postgresql.org/download

For more information contact:
Josh Berkus                 Bruce Momjian            Darcy Buskermolen
press at postgresql.org        press at postgresql.org     cn at postgresql.org
415-752-2500                610-359-1001             250-765-2071
San Francisco               Philadelphia             Vancouver

About PostgreSQL: PostgreSQL is the collective work of hundreds of
developers, building on twenty-one years of development which began at
the University of California, Berkeley.  With its long-term support of
enterprise-level transactional database features and scalability,
PostgreSQL is being used by many of today's most demanding businesses
and government agencies. PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD
license, which allows use and distribution without fees for both
commercial and non-commercial applications.   Learn more at
http://www.postgresql.org