OpenID Down the Drain ?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 09:51:39 MST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 5:38 AM, Layne R. Sunderlin <lray.sunderlin at comcast.net> wrote:
> This looks like an OpenID killer to me.  I wouldn't trust Micro$oft with my
> info.
>
> Microsoft bids $45 billion for Yahoo
> http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/01/technology/microsoft_yahoo/index.htm
>
> Ray.
>
> As the traveler who has once been from home is wiser than he who has
> Never left his own doorstep, so a knowledge of one other culture
> should sharpen our ability to scrutinize more steadily, to appreciate
> more lovingly, our own.
> -Margaret Mead, anthropologist (1901-1978)

Isn't that the exact point of OpenID?  You don't ever have to trust
the website you need to auth with, instead you must put your trust
with OpenID...  Although I'm right there with you, they'll probably
throw a keystroke sniffer on your computer if you choose to auth with
OpenID.

What I really like about this is that this (and several other attempts
related) show that Microsoft really recognizes Google as the better
company.  The highest form of flattery is imitation (or so the saying
goes) so obviously Microsoft is envious.  Does anyone else feel
Microsoft piqued a couple years ago and is now just riding it out the
until the boat is completely sunk?  Or are they trying to jump ship
and this is why we see multiple attempts to "buy in" to Google's
market?  If so, will they be successful due to their massive pocket
books?

-Chad