smaller Apache

Mike Lovell toelovell at
Sat Feb 2 21:27:40 MST 2008

Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> I am designing an embedded linux application. I want the human
> interface to this app to be a browser so the user can configure the
> application using a browser--like my Linksys wireless router.
> Is there a smaller version of Apache out there that I could use for
> this?  I am thinking that I need something like Apache to serve the
> html configuration pages but that is all I really need. I think the
> only thing I really need is to be able to serve regular html (text
> with some graphics).
> I guess I can have Apache running on this app but I think that is a
> bit overkill.  Anything smaller??
> Thanks,
> -Andres

If this is going to be in an embedded environment, is it using BusyBox?
BusyBox has a built in httpd functionality. IIRC, it even has some basic
CGI ability. I haven't used it much myself but it should work for what
you want. I just checked by OpenWRT box and the http server it uses is
the one built into BusyBox. Obligatory link.