The Last Straw (was: [sllug-members]: Boycott the Salt Lake Tribune)

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 09:56:23 MST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 10:04 AM, Jason Edwards <jtanium at gmail.com> wrote:
> Seriously?  When did the (SL|P)LUG-lists become forums for spewing
> this kind of tripe?!?
>
> I am so sick and tired of hearing about Ron Paul.  There are a great
> many reasons why he is (thankfully) at the bottom of all the polls.
> (If you would like to know what those are, please, email me off list).
>
> Moreover, I find it more and more difficult to keep my personal
> beliefs from coloring my perceptions of those on these lists.
>
> Can we get back to Linux stuff, or at least something remotely
> technology-related?  Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way -- if
> so, let me know, and I'll unsubscribe.
>
> Jason

Sorry for causing such a rift in the time/space continuum.  I did
notice that the PLUG list maintainer asked us to limit the political
discussions and because of that I only sent the message to SLLUG.  One
reason I thought to send it to SLLUG was that Ron Paul has some
positions that seem to blend well with Linux and more generally with
government not impeding on the Internet at large; seemed relatively
appropriate.  I can see both sides of the argument, ignore the posts
AND don't send completely OT posts.  I figure it's generally more
accepted to ignore a post and allow everyone else the freedom to
express their views, and me the freedom to ignore them.  But as I
mentioned, I also want to respect the wishes of the list maintainers,
and when requested to try to avoid specific topics, I try to honor
their wishes as I did with the above quoted message.  My primary
concern was censorship more than anything else, not that Ron Paul is
being excluded from the media (although that was indeed my secondary
concern).  In the interest of censorship...

I'll try to avoid sending non-linux topics in the future, and
apologize for causing such a heated debate.  And for cross-posting my
apology. :)

-Chad