In need of old network adapter

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Dec 29 10:58:58 MST 2008

Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> writes:

> On Sunday 28 December 2008 08:43:00 pm Dave Smith wrote:
>> Levi Pearson wrote:
>> > I assume you meant 'thanks in advance' by TIA, but it reminded me of
>> > when I first hooked a computer to a network via TCP/IP.  It was '94 or
>> > so in the BYU dorms, with the old-school Dataphones with a 19.2kbps
>> > serial connection to a selection of servers.  One of the available
>> > servers was the main CS server, on which we'd run a program called
>> > 'tia', an acronym of 'the internet adapter'.  It set up a SLIP
>> > connection with your PC, which basically gave you a NATed link to the
>> > internet with which you could run Mosaic and see the little GIFs that
>> > went with the text on the World Wide Web.
>
> I remember doing that in '93--but they didn't have NAT yet. We just got to
> play w/ftp and gopher, and use the old, awesome wyse registration system.

I loved the wyse registration system.  I'd fire up tn3270 and get my
classes all registered while my friends were trying to get through on
the phones.

When I first started using tia, it was something I'd downloaded myself
via ftp. A friend of mine discovered that the nfs-exported global home
directory drive didn't squash root at the time, so if you set up SLIP in
Linux via tia you could nfs-mount the shared home directory drive and
get root access.  Shortly after we discovered this, our accounts were
disabled, and we explained to the sysadmins (who turned out to be
completely ignorant of the nfs-related stuff we did) what the nfs
problem was.  Had to talk to the CS dean to get our accounts re-enabled,
but he said we could hack all we wanted as long as we weren't
destructive, informed the admins of all the holes we found, and didn't
hack gov't or UofU systems. :)

I imagine things are a little different there now, though.

                --Levi