How to Tell if Postfix Is Using Postgrey?

Andy Bradford amb-plugg at bradfords.org
Tue Dec 16 21:11:47 MST 2008

Thus said Charles Curley on Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:59:40 MST:

> I get  my email  onto my home  computer via fetchmail  and imap.  So I
> guess the first question is, will greylisting on my computer do me any
> good? I don't know if my WSP greylists or not.

I doubt it will be any use where you pull down your email with fetchmail
and imap since generally speaking greylisting is done during SMTP.

> Postgrey is running,  and lsof indicates it has a  socket out there. I
> don't see  that socket  listed in  postfix' output. How  do I  tell if
> postfix is using postgrey?

telnet servername 25

MAIL FROM:<someaddress>
RCPT TO:<somelegitimatelocaladdress>
DATA

See  if you  get  a 4xx  temporary  deferral at  some  time during  this
process. If you don't get one, then  make sure you're testing from an IP
that isn't allowed as a relay host.

Andy
  9:11pm  up  1:51,  2 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.16, 1.15