SSH within local network

Joshua Lutes joshua at lutes.me
Sat Dec 13 17:20:11 MST 2008

> Kenneth Burgener wrote:
>>
>> It sounds like one of two possibilities:
>> 1. a firewall issue
>> 2. ssh server is not installed, or enabled.
>>
>> Which distributions are you running?  Is either of them Ubuntu?  Last
>> time I installed Ubuntu 8.10, the ssh client was installed, but the
>> ssh server was not, by default.  If that is the case then:
>>  $ sudo apt-get install openssh-server

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on the MythTV box and 8.10 on the desktop.  I
can connect to the MythTV box through the internet.  I got a hostname
for my router through DynDNS and I forward the appropriate ports to
the MythTV box.  When I ssh to that hostname (or go to it through the
internet) I can connect handily to my box.

>> You can see if there are any firewall rules by checking iptables:
>>  $ sudo iptables --list
>>
>> KEnneth

Both of the computers return the following when I "sudo iptables --list":

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> Another thing to look at:
>
> Are you trying to connect using the direct IP, or using a hostname?  If
> you are using a hostname, try the direct IP just to see if you've got a
> mis-entry in your hosts file.

I am pretty sure that I am using the direct IP when I can't connect.
I am trying to use ssh 192.168.2.x.

Thanks,

Joshua