SSH within local network

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Sat Dec 13 16:32:46 MST 2008

Joshua Lutes wrote:
> I can ssh over
> the internet, but I can't ssh just within my local network to
> 192.168.2.x.  I'm not sure what I need to do to be able to just use my
> local network, which I think will be much, much faster.

It sounds like one of two possibilities:
1. a firewall issue
2. ssh server is not installed, or enabled.

Which distributions are you running?  Is either of them Ubuntu?  Last
time I installed Ubuntu 8.10, the ssh client was installed, but the ssh
server was not, by default.  If that is the case then:
  $ sudo apt-get install openssh-server

You can see if there are any firewall rules by checking iptables:
  $ sudo iptables --list

KEnneth