What gets you out to a PLUG meeting?

Eric Wald eswald at brainshell.org
Fri Dec 12 11:08:23 MST 2008

On Dec 11, Hans Fugal wrote:
> Nicholas Leippe wrote:
>
>> The feeling I get from the plug, is that most of us here are compentent, very
>> resourceful people, and getting help from someone else is usually a last
>> resort--we've already researched for ourselves and hit dead ends. Or, we know
>> the research is going to be long and bet that someone else here has already
>> done it recently and we can get a quick jumpstart into it by posting here
>> first.
>
> I think there's little doubt that most of us could figure out $TOPIC on
> our own with minimal help, but when $TOPIC isn't at the top of the list,
> and we are interested in being exposed to $TOPIC at a high level, this
> is where PLUG meetings can excel. Don't give me a meeting on the minutia
> of setting up nagios. It is unlikely the timing will be just right that
> even one person will benefit from such a meeting. Instead, give the
> overall "what nagios can do", or even better, cover monitoring programs
> as a whole and look at alternatives to nagios, pros and cons of each,
> etc. Meetings are most interesting and best when they give you the big
> picture of things or delve into deep mysteries that the presenter is
> well-versed in.

The promise of this kind of high-level overview on something I've never
quite gotten around to researching is exactly what made me want to
attend the SELinux presentation, but other events interfered.

As an example of the "deep mysteries" type of presentation, I made a
special point to attend when Jay Pipes came recently, while the most
significant block to my attendance was still the 45-minute bike ride up
the hill into Orem.  I had been using MySQL, and was starting to feel
performance penalties on a medium-traffic web application, and wanted
to gather any potentially helpful advanced tips and tricks.

- Eric