What gets you out to a PLUG meeting?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Thu Dec 11 12:08:01 MST 2008

Nicholas Leippe wrote:

> The feeling I get from the plug, is that most of us here are compentent, very
> resourceful people, and getting help from someone else is usually a last
> resort--we've already researched for ourselves and hit dead ends. Or, we know
> the research is going to be long and bet that someone else here has already
> done it recently and we can get a quick jumpstart into it by posting here
> first.
>
> Additionally, most of the projects that we'd do that would involve a deep
> topic like one of those I've listed, would require far more research and
> detailed fiddling than could be covered in a group meeting covering the topic
> in a general way--so as far as technical need, our meetings don't really feel
> in high demand. But, for professional networking, yes, I think they can be
> great. We could always reformat the meetings as workshops instead of
> presentations.

I think there's little doubt that most of us could figure out $TOPIC on
our own with minimal help, but when $TOPIC isn't at the top of the list,
and we are interested in being exposed to $TOPIC at a high level, this
is where PLUG meetings can excel. Don't give me a meeting on the minutia
of setting up nagios. It is unlikely the timing will be just right that
even one person will benefit from such a meeting. Instead, give the
overall "what nagios can do", or even better, cover monitoring programs
as a whole and look at alternatives to nagios, pros and cons of each,
etc. Meetings are most interesting and best when they give you the big
picture of things or delve into deep mysteries that the presenter is
well-versed in.

Perhaps even better is to s/nagios/bind/ in the above.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach