What gets you out to a PLUG meeting?

William Attwood wattwood at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 10:42:44 MST 2008

Nagios-- Basic Setup
-- Basic Administration
-- Hosts, Commands, Plug Ins
-- Using NRPE for Remote Monitoring
-- Logging all updates to a Database
-- Graphing based on above logging to troubleshoot errors after they happen
(random load spikes, Disk I/O, swap usage due to a horrid cron job at 2am)

MySQL
-- Partitioning
-- What is Fragmenting, and how can it help speed up a database?
-- Is Disk I/O important, if so, can I spread my databases over multiple
disks to increase read/write speeds?

Apache 2.2
-- Advanced Logging to a MySQL Database for Reporting
-- Setting up Graphing based on above logging

IPTables
-- How to use it, and why
-- Is it secure?

Bind
-- Setting up and administering a DNS system for your network
-- Configuring your DNS server as a primary resource, and the WWW as a
secondary for your internal network

There's plenty more, but those are some ideas of items I've been diving into
quite a bit and will use often.

-William