disabling usb devices in a laptop

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Dec 11 09:22:06 MST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 09:05:29AM -0700, Matthew Walker wrote:

> On Thu, December 11, 2008 8:57 am, Aaron Toponce wrote:
> > What distro? In Debian/Ubuntu, you can just unload the 'usbcore' module
> > or blacklist it. Placing it in your /etc/modprobe.conf or
> > /etc/modprobe.d/ should suffice.
>
> Wouldn't that stop all USB devices from functioning though? I doubt that's what he wants.

In Fedora, it looks like they must compile USB in to the kernel, since
I'm not seeing any USB-related modules in lsmod.

I was worried that the keyboard and trackpad might be attached to USB,
but it looks like they aren't.  So I suppose I could keep USB disabled
except when I need it.  I wonder what the best way to do that in Fedora
is.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/