disabling usb devices in a laptop

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Thu Dec 11 08:34:27 MST 2008

I recently ran powertop on a laptop and noticed that the webcam and
bluetooth devices (both of which are connected via an internal USB hub),
are always on.  They are both sucking power, and the webcam is also
hitting the CPU with a constant stream of interrupts.  Since I'm not
using them, I would love to disable these devices.

So far I have tried unloading the kernel modules, which didn't work, and
blacklisting them so they can't load in the first place, which also
didn't work.  Unfortunately, the BIOS is limited and doesn't give any
options for disabling specific devices.

Has anyone run into this problem before?  How do you turn off a USB
device without snipping the wires?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/