hdmi, dvi, hdcp and Mythtv

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Dec 10 13:21:49 MST 2008

Michael Torrie wrote:
> Barry Roberts wrote:
>> As long as there isn't too much motion.  Watching the part of "Venom
>> Cure" where the camera was panning over dry bush and following a brown
>> snake was like watching a cubist nightmare.
>
> Yeah, the decisions that broadcasters make in regards to compression can
> really make HDTV look awful.

Yup. Sometimes they even screw things up so bad normal people can tell -
usually with aspect ratios. Local NBC channel broadcast the grinch in
HD... pillarboxed. I see this all the time. People with 4:3 TVs see a
half-resolution square in the middle of the TV. People with HDTVs
wouldn't know the difference if they broadcast it properly.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach