hdmi, dvi, hdcp and Mythtv

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 11:28:05 MST 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am considering buying a 1080p hdtv that has several hdmi input ports.
>  I understand I can buy a cable or adapter to drive hdmi from the DVI
> port on my mythtv machine.  Two questions.
>
> Can dvi theoretically output 120 Hz at full 1920x1080 resolution?  Or is
> it limited to 60 Hz?
>
> If I'm converting DVI to HDMI signal, can I still play video through
> mythtv or mplayer at full HD resolution (1080p) without HDCP or will the
> TV refuse to do it?

I am running a DVI - HDMI converter on my ATI 4650 card and it plays
everything fine.  I am running 1080p at 60 or 1080p at 24 depending on
source material.

> My understanding of HDCP is that it's the video source that determines
> whether or not it wants to display video in HD 1080p mode without HDCP.
>  In other words the computer or video player (Vista or OS X sadly) that
> demands an HDCP "secured" connection. Is this correct?  If so then I
> think I'll be fine driving HDTV with myth.
>
> Am I okay then?

The bigger question is where are you going to get your HD source
material.  If you are planning on MKV or similar containers you should
be fine.  If you are wanting to play BluRay in linux you may be in for
a shock when you find out its not supported.

At any rate, unless you are dead set on a linux HTPC (and I hope you
are), you might want to take a looksi at MediaPortal and the moving
pictures plugin.  Both are open source but only run on windows.

--
grant