hdmi, dvi, hdcp and Mythtv

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 11:11:02 MST 2008

I am considering buying a 1080p hdtv that has several hdmi input ports.
 I understand I can buy a cable or adapter to drive hdmi from the DVI
port on my mythtv machine.  Two questions.

Can dvi theoretically output 120 Hz at full 1920x1080 resolution?  Or is
it limited to 60 Hz?

If I'm converting DVI to HDMI signal, can I still play video through
mythtv or mplayer at full HD resolution (1080p) without HDCP or will the
TV refuse to do it?

My understanding of HDCP is that it's the video source that determines
whether or not it wants to display video in HD 1080p mode without HDCP.
 In other words the computer or video player (Vista or OS X sadly) that
demands an HDCP "secured" connection. Is this correct?  If so then I
think I'll be fine driving HDTV with myth.

Am I okay then?