where to store report info

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Tue Dec 9 16:50:49 MST 2008

I almost sent this to udbug but felt it was more of a general question.

I have a database with lots of information in it, and find that I need
to run a report the is going to take up to several minutes to run.  It's
ok if I only run this report once a day in the morning before everyone
comes in.  Now the question that perplexes me is how should I store this
report.  I think it would be good for it to be viewable as a web page by
many people in the company, but one user will need to be able to
download it as a csv file.

So part of me wants to treat this like a materialized view.  Though I
don't want to do it all in pg/sql.  Is that an acceptable solution?
Grab information out of the database, process it and then stick it back
into a table.  Is there a better more acceptable way of doing this?

Kyle