[OT] Ameros will clog the tubes - was Re: Network Neutrality

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Sat Dec 6 09:01:55 MST 2008

<quote name="Levi Pearson" date="Fri,  5 Dec 2008 at 21:46 -0700">
> Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> writes:
> > Here we have profound disagreement: if it's theft when a private
> > individual does it, it's theft when a government does it. Governments
> > are composed of people, and morality doesn't magically change just
> > because one is anointed king or elected senator or whatever. If you or
> > I have no moral right to do a thing, then we cannot delegate the power
> > to do that thing to someone else.
>
> This depends entirely on the assumption that private property is an
> inalienable right, which is by no means in universal agreement.  If
> private property is not a natural right originating with individuals,
> but instead a right created and protected by the government, then it is
> indeed within the rights of the government to place restrictions/caveats
> on it.

Who needs an assumption? We have the constitution.

> Your reasoning certainly does follow from the premise of property as a
> natural right, which, from what I understand, is generally argued from
> Locke's conception that property is formed by individual freedom to act
> upon nature and thus is an extension of that person's liberty.  This
> seems to be on very shaky ground compared to the basic rights to life
> and liberty.

How is it shaky? If I'm free to make myself a pie, and yet cannot eat
it, then what availeth my freedom? If I'm free to build a cabin, yet
cannot dwell therein, again, what availeth my freedom? If I'm free to
make a living, but have no just claim to that living, only government
benevolence that "allows" me to keep some of what I do, then that's no
freedom at all. Liberty is the freedom and will to make something of
one's life. If you take from me all I make, then I have not made
anything of my life, I've made something for someone else. I am a slave
and I have no freedom.

Von Fugal
--
The three great rights are so bound together as to be essentially one
right. To give a man his life, but deny him his liberty, is to take