Network Neutrality

Von Grant Fugal von at fugal.net
Wed Dec 3 21:51:07 MST 2008

<quote name="Charles Curley" date="Wed,  3 Dec 2008 at 21:14 -0700">
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 08:31:05PM -0700, Andy Bradford wrote:
> > Thus said Von Grant Fugal on Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:38:20 MST:
> >
> > > What if  what if  what if.  If people are  going to  play nice  on the
> > > internet then we can have our current internet. If people aren't going
> > > to play  nice then we  need a  new, enforceable internet.  It's really
> > > that  simple. uTorrent  can do  whatever it  pleases, because  there's
> > > nothing to stop it.
> >
> > At least until uTorrent users (whether  client side or hosting side) get
> > slapped with bandwidth  overage charges. :-) If an ISP  can't charge for
> > this kind of  usage, then their network will become  saturated and cause
> > the loss  of customers. Bad  ISP goes  out of business,  ``nasty torrent
> > users'' are forced off the network, end of story.
>
> More likely: bad ISP wheedles Congress for welfare for business,
> A.K.A. bailouts, claiming (incorrectly) that if they go out of
> business, their poor customers won't have Internet service. Ben
> Benanke waves his magic wand to pay for it, and the $ gets that much
> closer to collapse.

Ben Burnanke may yet prove useful. He might just collapse the dollar so
fast that we'll have no choice but to end the fed and get back to sound
money!

Von Fugal
--
Government is a disease that masquerades as its own cure
-- Robert Lefevre