[OT]: remote control (vnc) solution suggestions?

Kimball Larsen kimball at kimballlarsen.com
Wed Dec 3 10:27:18 MST 2008

This is not Linux specific, but I wonder if some folks here would have
some insight:

We are currently using a derivative of UltraVNC in one of our products
that allows quick and easy access for our support department to see a
user's screen and fix problems for them.

However, this solution has a few problems with it:
UAC in Vista disconnects
Windows Clients Only

We are a cross-platform shop, and wanted to know if anyone here has
experience setting up a drop-dead simple (for the user) VNC solution
that is fast, cross-platform, and free/oss.

Specifically, I'd like to have a simple menu item my user hits  - like
"Request Remote Help".  That should be all they need to do.

Requirements:
Cross platform server capable of establishing reverse connections to a
configurable destination
Cross platform viewer capable of listening for and handling multiple
simultaneous connections

I don't care much about file transfer, chat, or any of the other
features some VNC products seem to like to bundle these days.

Thoughs?

- Kimball
http://www.kimballlarsen.com