Network Neutrality

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Dec 1 20:24:05 MST 2008

Charles Curley wrote:
>> I don't think it's perfect. It still comes down to your user believing
>> he/she is more important than other people. It works most of the time
>> unless you get someone who is deliberately hogging bandwidth.
>>

> Or the user is utterly clueless. I suspect those are more common than
> the deliberately rude.

Agreed. And in this case, the average user becomes an accidental bad
internet citizen, because BitTorrent is designed in such a way that it
hogs bandwidth (obviously, savvy users can use the common rate limiting
features provided by most BitTorrent clients). Maybe the new UDP-based
protocol will do a better job of being friendly[1] to other packet streams.

--Dave

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=tcp+friendly