Network Neutrality

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Dec 1 13:05:59 MST 2008

Jason Wright wrote:
> I'm not sure I agree with this. TCP does throttling already

What makes BitTorrent different from regular TCP connections is that you
can have 200+ TCP BitTorrent connections acting as one huge "meta"
connection to download a single resource. Even if TCP's congestion
control mechanisms kick in to throttle down each individual TCP
connection, the BitTorrent client will simply spawn more connections to
make up for the lost bandwidth, until it saturates your link fully. This
is why normal TCP congestion control doesn't actually control BitTorrent
connections. It's really great for speedy downloads, but it clobbers
other TCP connections, like the ability to check your gmail.

--Dave