more stupid questions (wireshark)

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Mon Dec 1 10:25:48 MST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 04:53:59PM -0500, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> I just installed wireshark using yum. This installation went fine.
>
> Wireshark was installed in the directory:   /media/_/usr/bin
>
> Q1: What is the reason for installing it in /media/_   and not just
> plain old /usr/bin?  The /media/_ directory appears to be a duplicate of
> /usr/bin.

I wonder if there is a symlink from /media/_ to /usr/bin? Or a
spurious mount? Try (as root) "ls -al /media/_" and "mount | grep
media" to see if either conjecture is correct.

The executable should be in root's $PATH. Try "which wireshark" top
see where it is, e.g:

ccurley at dragon:~$ which wireshark
/usr/bin/wireshark
ccurley at dragon:~$

If that shows it to be in /media/_, you have a path problem as well.