more stupid questions (wireshark)

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Mon Dec 1 07:52:29 MST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 04:53:59PM -0500, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> I just installed wireshark using yum. This installation went fine.
>
> Wireshark was installed in the directory:   /media/_/usr/bin
>
> Q1: What is the reason for installing it in /media/_   and not just
> plain old /usr/bin?  The /media/_ directory appears to be a duplicate of
> /usr/bin.

I have wireshark and wireshark-gnome on my Fedora 9 box, but it's in
/usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib, etc.  Try doing `rpm -ql wireshark
wireshark-gnome` to see where your system thinks it's installed.  The
only reason I can think of for it being in /media/_ is if there was a
chroot or something when it was installed.  That's weird.

> Q2: When I attempt to run (as root) wireshark I get an "The exec() call
> failed" error. What do I have to do to get wireshark to run?

This may be connected with the above.  It's possible that it's just not
installed properly.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/