Failing Laptop Power Cable

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Wed Aug 13 22:16:05 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 21:39 -0600, Joshua Lutes wrote:
> My power cable has been acting up lately where it will only charge the
> laptop if it is in *just* the right position and there doesn't really seem
> to be any way of telling the right position.  It is an HP Pavilion.  Is
> there a way to fix this, and barring that, can anyone tell me of a shop
> perhaps in or about Provo that I might be able to get it fixed at?  Sorry if
> this is off topic ...

Bad news.

This is a flaw in the design of the power connector on the motherboard.

I was able to convince my old HP to limp along for several months using
tiny bits of tin foil. I don't take any responsibility if you're crazy
enough to try to copy me. In fact, to be safe, I won't even give any
details.

Based on my research, it is impossible to get anyone other than HP to
repair the laptop. HP refuses to sell the necessary parts. Hopefully
your laptop is still under warranty 'cause HP isn't willing to solder on
a new part, they're only willing to replace the entire motherboard and
that ain't cheap.

Sorry.