Network based messaging

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Fri Aug 1 19:51:32 MDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> Levi Pearson wrote:
>>
>> So, I did a little more research on AMQP, and I'm not sure why you
>> seemed to reject it out of hand over XMPP, which is not even designed
>> for the sort of thing you're trying to do.
>
> All I want to send are simple string messages. I don't need anything
> "enterprisey", nor do I want to hassle with all the features that tend to
> come with such a system.

Fair enough.  But that's precisely what SMTP is for, too.  AMQP is
essentially a high-reliability version of SMTP for process-to-process
communication.  You set up your AMQP server, then use the AMQP library
for your language in the apps.  Anyway, maybe it's not what you want,
but here's some Python examples of Apache Qpid's different messaging
strategies: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/qpid/trunk/qpid/python/examples/

If you're using libraries, XMPP probably isn't going to be a whole lot
simpler.  And, if you use RabbitMQ as your AMQP server, it's got an
XMPP<->AMQP gateway.

Even if you're not interested in it now, I think it's a very cool
technology and worthy of PLUG's attention, especially people who are
interested in 'Web 2.0' and 'Social' Internet services.

                --Levi