Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Wed Apr 30 13:29:49 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 12:27 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Jacob Fugal wrote:
> > Well, I've installed it now, but it doesn't solve the problem.
> > Unfortunately, the VPN is smart/draconian enough to block OTR. It
> > gives the same "Your system policy has denied the requested action"
> > message when I try and initiate a private conversation. :(
>
> Maybe you can change your routes after connecting to the vpn so that
> only traffic that is destined for your work machines goes through the
> vpn.  This would leave normal traffic like IM going through your normal
> channels.

Very good idea.  If you are using the official Cisco VPN client, you may
not be able to, as it's policy is enforced by the VPN server.  However,
you can use the Free, awesome, compatible vpnc package.

http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~massar/vpnc/

It will allow you to ignore policies implemented by the VPN server, and
properly route only the company traffic over the tunnel, and send the
rest out your Network.

--lonnie