Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:06:28 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Jacob Fugal <lukfugl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Lonnie Olson wrote:
>  >  > This problem sounds like you have a company firewall that is rewriting
>  >  > the messages.
>
>  Nope. This problem is only on my home machines (I use a Mac with Adium
>  at work) and manifests itself whether I'm on the company VPN or not.
>  When I'm not on the VPN, the only elements are: 1) my machine, 2) my
>  router, 3) xmission, 4) the big bad web. I'm fairly certain it's not
>  the router or xmission, as the symptom is unique to my ubuntu
>  machines; my wife's windows machine does not have the same problem.

Dang, I apologize. It is only when at home, not in the office, but it
is only when *on the VPN* at home. I really thought I had tried it
outside the VPN (I have near vivid memories of doing so, but
apparently their wrong), but I guess not. I did some comprehensive
tests last night from home, and the problem was only manifest while
connected to the VPN. You were right, Lonnie (and Michael).

>  >  I concur with Lonnie's assessment.  However this begs a question.
>  >  Jacob, you *do* use the de-facto standard, "off-the-record" encryption
>  >  plugin in pidgin as a matter of course, right?
>
>  I have in the past, and plan to install it on this machine, but
>  haven't yet (unless ubuntu's packaging of pidgin comes with it
>  preinstalled which would be awesome).

Well, I've installed it now, but it doesn't solve the problem.
Unfortunately, the VPN is smart/draconian enough to block OTR. It
gives the same "Your system policy has denied the requested action"
message when I try and initiate a private conversation. :(

Jacob Fugal