Using Ubuntu Mirrors?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Tue Apr 29 21:56:37 MDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 12:18:32PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 11:47:40AM -0600, Chris Carey wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Charles Curley
> > <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > > I use apt-cacher to minimize downloadin for my fleet of computers. Is
> > >  there any way I can point that at a miror? I see it has a provision
> > >  for using a proxy; will that work? And if so, how do I do it?
> > >
> > >  The Ubuntu repos are rather tardy today.
> >

> > not sure about that. However, yesterday and today I have used
> >
> > mirrors.us.kernel.org
> >
> > in the /etc/apt/sources.list file and they have remained quite snappy.
>
> I suppose I could try that, but, being the lazy bum that I am, I don't
> really want to edit all my sources.list files.
>
> If no-ne comes up with a better idea shortly, I may try that.

I went ahead and tried that, using xmission as a mirror. It's much
snappier than the Ubuntu servers.

I also found two bugs in Synaptic. If you select a mirror, the
pulldown menu continues to show the Ubuntu servers, not the selected
mirror. Second and worse, if you have an apt-cacher setup, Synaptic
eats it and gives you the mirror by itself.

For those who have to do this by hand, you need to substitute the
mirror's URL for that of the Ubuntu server. So this part of a line:

http://phoenix.localdomain:3142/archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/

becomes:

http://phoenix.localdomain:3142/mirrors.xmission.com/ubuntu/

Similarly for the security stuff: